Finding the Area of a Trapezoid
READ the instruction below and INTERACT with the GeoGebra applet on the right.
- Move the points B and D, to make a new trapezoid. Next move the green point.
- What shape is formed and how do you find its area?
- How the height of the trapezoid compare to the height of the new figure?
Is this true any of the two figures? Why?
- How do the base lenghts of the two figures compare?
- How is the area of a trapezoid related to the area of the shaded figure?
- Using this information, what would be a formula for finding the area of a trapezoid?
Test your formula using the applet.